Monday 26 November 2007

Baftas for Kids Progs!

It was very very exciting last night! I went to the Children's Baftas! I'd been feeling just like Cinderella because everyone was going except me. Anyway, I'd polished my pumpkin just on the off chance, like you do and it obviously worked because six very sweet white mice lugged it all the way up the M4 to the London Hilton.
I caught the train. Just as well. The white mice were taken for hors d'oeuvres by the Happy Feet penguins and the pumpkin didn't survive the valet parking. I hope all those BBC executives' smart cars fared better.

Everyone always says award ceremonies are glittering events and goes on about how gorgeous everyone looks but if there was a red carpet, it was covered in pumpkin when I got there. I reckon London Lite will have plenty of pictures of glamourous children's presenters and raucous under fives animators tumbling in and out of cabs. So I'm giving you a different perspective.
From under the table. Of course as the evening went on, a number of independent producers joined me. And if you want to have a burping competition in which the winner is the one who best burps the name of a children's channel: Jetix is really hard to burp, much harder than than Nickelodeon. The best name to burp is Cbeebies. It deserved to be Channel of the Year.


Here are the Secret Show guys receiving the award for Best Animation. Unfortunately when the Secret Show guys went up, I got tangled up in the table cloth. But it doesn't matter because I expect they'll be all over the papers for the next week at least- I mean, children's television is very very important so I'm sure the press will honour the people who entertain their children. Don't you?


Here are a few more of my pictures from under the Bafta tables. I couldn't see who everyone is but you might be able to tell me who's who.
A sensible executive?
Or someone in children's factual preparing for its funeral?

Was Squidwort a guest of Nickelodeon? Or is someone getting cold feet about investing in kids?

Who needed the luck of the Irish to win?

Who hasn't signed the Downing Street Petition and is relying on lucky socks to save children's television?

Who received their award barefoot?

And who is tramping all over children's telly?

Who was pitching to who?



It was a great night. Some of the shoes I recognised and even though they ate the mice, the penguins from Happy Feet were very friendly. In fact they got very excited around ITV people. Kept saying they could smell something fishy.

I hope next year I am able to go and maybe even sit up at a table! Maybe kids telly will be able to sit up at the table as well. After all, it's been surviving on crumbs for ages and the crumbs are getting smaller.


No comments: